General Shadow Program
As a learning institution, The University of Toledo understands the importance of exploring career opportunities through observation. The privilege of being granted a shadow experience with The University of Toledo Medical Center can be one that will benefit the participant for years to come. We want to give you the best possible experience. In doing so, please take note of the following expectations as you prepare to be a part of the UTMC Shadow Experience. All medical students whether US graduates or International need to register and receive approval from the Office of Medical Education and the Dean. Please contact Melissa.email@example.com to register with this office if you are a physician or a med-student. If you are interested in shadowing one of our many hospital professions, we encourage you to seek out a mentorship with one of them. Should you be granted the opportunity to shadow, you can then contact Volunteer Services to establish yourself as a shadow participant.
Follow these steps to get started in the UTMC shadow program:
1. If you are a physician or med student you must secure approval of the Office of Medical Education prior to attending a volunteer orientation. Please contact Ms. Val King at 419-383-4458 to obtain this approval.
2. Register for a volunteer orientation class, typically classes are held twice monthly. You may register by calling 419-383-6336 or 419-383-3835. Location and time will be given at the time of registration.
3. Obtain a mentor in your area of interest.
4. Background checks will be processed on everyone 18 years of age and older. If under the age of 18 you must have parental consent on the volunteer enrollment form. This form will be issued at orientation class.
5. Be prepared to provide your immunization records and proof of a 2 step PPD within the last 12 months, more information regarding this procedure will be given at the orientation session. Shadow participants are not eligible for free 2 step PPD test/immunizations through UTMC.
6. After orientation, Volunteer Services will begin processing all forms and submitting requests for background checks for shadow participants age 18 and over.
Once all requirements have been met (completed volunteer orientation, cleared 2-step PPD test/immunizatons, cleared background check) and a mentor has been established, volunteer services can issue a temporary shadow badge for the time allowed.